We live in a world where criticism is constant. It doesn’t matter what we do, wear, talk about, or how truthful we are. There will always be someone criticizing. Living your life based on what other people think about, means you will always be their prisoner. But why do we care about what others think? Well, we all want to be a part of a group, meaning we tend to comply with what is expected to receive approval. We put our value and self-esteem in the hands of others and upon receiving criticism, rejection, and disapproval we fall into anxiety.
It’s important to note there is a difference between constructive and negative criticism. Constructive criticism is necessary to move forward in life, it helps us improve ourselves. While negative criticism is a thoughtless comment that can hurt your feelings and at times it may be deliberate. The difference between the two is how it is said. But, what is most important here is how we use it. We can either allow criticism to destroy or build us.
Here are 7 reasons why you shouldn’t care about what people think:
- It is your life – and yours alone. Others may be a part of it, but no one can live it for you. If a situation, person, or place doesn’t make you happy, then its not worth it. You will end up being miserable. So, shut out the outer voices of the world and focus on you. Live your reality and be proud if it.
- Life is short – You only live once, and living it by what others say is an insult to your life. Whether we want to accept this or not, everyone is dying since the moment we are born. Sadly, many people pass away regretting many things. So, build a life you are happy to be in, no matter what others think.
- You know what is best for yourself – Life is your responsibility, and you give your life away if you expect people to know what’s best for you. Everyone, has their beliefs of what a perfect life is and that’s where criticism arises. Don’t be afraid to ignore what others think because what they say are only suggestions.
- You can’t please everyone – You are not a 100-dollar bill. Not everyone will like you or what you do. Let’s be honest, trying to please everyone will kill your energy. It’s waste of time. Some people will never be pleased, and at times they may not even have a reason why they are criticizing you.
- People’s opinions don’t really matter – Constantly listening to criticism will drown your inner voice. People perceive things differently because they focus on other interests. Even what they consider important differs. It all depends on their values, outlook in life, family, and cultural influences. So, why would someone else opinion matter, if what they believe right isn’t correct for you?
- Deceiving opinions – People will deter you from your dreams by giving you their opinions of why you shouldn’t do it. This is because of envy or simply because they can’t picture themselves doing it, so they think you can’t. No matter how big your goal is, don’t let other people tell you otherwise.
- They don’t really care – Most people won’t support you because they are busy with their life and when you hit rock bottom they will leave you there. This doesn’t mean that they are bad people, but simply they don’t see it as their problem.
Never change who you are because someone else has a problem with it. You be you, and rock it. Not everyone in your life is bad. Some people truly care about your happiness and opinion. Just be careful who you let into your life. Surround yourself with family and friends who are willing to respect your opinion and motivate you. Keep in mind whatever you do good or bad, people will always have something negative to say. Don’t be afraid to listen to constructive criticism because its necessary to improve your life and dreams. Use it wisely!
“Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” ~Aristotle